This position is full-time. 3rd Shift.
Primary function of this position is to conduct chemical and physical analysis of raw materials and yeast, and/or microbiological analysis, both in-process and finished product. This position reports to the Laboratory Supervisor, but will also receive direction from the Lab Manager and Production Manager. Interfaces with processing supervisors and operators, maintenance workers and general service operators, to obtain samples, explain needed maintenance in lab or to request supplies located outside the lab.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts microbiological analysis of samples and preparation of pure culture yeast for use in fermentations.
- Conducts tests including nitrogen, phosphorus, pH, color, percentage of Buds, dry matters, sugar, brix by following written procedures, calculating results and recording in appropriate log books.
- Conducts chemical and physical analysis of raw materials and yeast, both in-process and finished product.
- Tests yeast for activity using Risograph.
- Follows written procedures to conduct tests on various types of dough using different yeast lots or types.
- Maintains equipment and general work area including the following: cleaning and calibration of equipment, keeping records of maintenance performed, ensuring equipment is working properly, keeping work area clean and orderly.
- Responsible for proper use and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies including: analytical balance, centrifuge, mixer, drying oven, pH meter, color meter, stir plate, lab ware, Risograph, spectrophotometer, distillation unit, mineralization units, fume hood, chemicals, incubator, water bath, thermometers, titrators, YSI 2700D, LECO and Buchi B-339.
- Prepares chemical solutions for processing area.
- Ensures that processing area is stocked with supply of needed solutions; prepares these solutions.
- Performs tests accurately and consistently, following procedures and performing tests in same way each day to provide accurate results.
- Completion of bi-annual proficiency tests.
Bachelor’s degree or an Associate’s degree with equivalent experience in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or Food Science.
Red Star Yeast Company, LLC provides a comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees. Benefits include medical, wellness, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, flexible spending, and retirement savings plan (401K) which is a $1.00 for $1.00 match up to four (4) percent of your eligible compensation. In addition, the Company provides provisions for family and medical leave, personal leave and other types of paid and unpaid leave. Benefits start day one.