Primary function of this position is to coordinate both predictive and timely, effective maintenance of the facility and equipment at the Red Star and Biospringer Cedar Rapids plants, as well as ensuring reliable performance of the plant utilities operation. A good working relationship with the Production Department is critical to effectively address maintenance issues. Requires frequent contact with all levels of employees and management in regard to maintenance needs. Interacts and manages the outside contractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure preventive maintenance is performed consistently on all equipment including centrifuge machines, pumps, heat exchangers, air blowers, air compressors, boilers, screw/piston type refrigeration units, cooling towers, etc. Electrical/electronics: fully automated facility (PLC’s, automatic valves, magnetic flowmeters, mass-flow systems, air flow systems, energy monitoring, etc).
- Coordinate timely response in case of equipment failure.
- Oversee employees or contractors to complete required assignments.
- Assign work to employees and contractors; follow up to verify quality and efficiency of work.
- Analyze maintenance technician reports to avoid the repetition of any equipment or system failures.
- Maintain effective communication with the Production Superintendents, Technical Manager and Plant Manager regarding maintenance needs and issues.
- Participate in planning meetings, weekly maintenance staff meetings, and management meetings.
- Work in close collaboration with the Technical Manager to develop an efficient maintenance department including work order system, task scheduling, defining work priorities, and developing an automated equipment history and troubleshooting aid.
- Ensure adequate supply of spare parts on hand by developing a reliable, efficient and economic spare parts management policy.
- Develop and implement the best possible energy efficiency for the facility.
- Study, justify and propose any necessary improvements or modifications.
- Prepare and follow the maintenance department budget.
- Participate in the preparation of the plant’s capital improvement budget.
- Manage the plant project team (engineers, drafter, VIE …).
- Monitor and maintain adherence to the plant’s capital improvement budget relative to the planned implementation schedule and project costs.
- Ensure employee development by creating short term and long term goals, reviewing performance, addressing development areas and disciplinary issues.
- Ensure a safe approach to maintaining the facility and equipment; conduct departmental safety training.
- Develop solid relationships with suppliers.
- Participate in On-call weekend rotation with other Supervisors in the Maintenance Department.
- Responsible and accountable for the safety of all assigned personnel.
- Serve as member of the Plant HACCP team.
- Lead the World Class Maintenance initiative for the department.
Special projects as assigned.
- The deputies for this position are the Technical Manager (Primary) and Plant Manager (Secondary).
- This position serves as a deputy for the following positions: Maintenance superintendant, Process Control Engineer, Project Engineer, Technical Buyer & CMMS Administrator.
Manages subordinate supervisors who supervise all technicians in the Maintenance Department. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
ENVIRONMENTAL, SAFETY, QUALITY, AND LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
Understand and follow:
Environmental: EPA Ammonia, Storm Water, SPCC, Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, Title V
Safety: All applicable OSHA Rules and Regulations
Quality: Quality Management System
Legal: all pertinent Human Resources, Environmental and Safety Laws and Regulations
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be proficient in mechanics, electricity, instrumentation, automation, welding techniques and spare parts management.
- Theoretical knowledge of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, refrigeration and materials resistance is a plus.
- Computer proficiency, mainly in Excel, Word and Access, is also required.
- Must be familiar with PLC programming, AutoCAD, diagram reading and engineering in general.
- Familiarity with preventive and predictive maintenance concepts and modern maintenance job organization concepts is required.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills are required.
- The ability to make quick decisions, properly prioritize and to work under stressful situations is required. Incumbent must be a dynamic, proactive and creative person with excellent analytical skills.
- Must be reliable and able to work effectively in critical situations.
- Ability to handle critical decision making responsibilities and deal with mental stress from occasionally extended worked hours outside of regular schedule.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree related to maintenance required or 3 years minimum of experience as a Maintenance Superintendent or Manager, preferably in a food grade environment. Engineering Degree prefered.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ability to be CPR/First Aid certified required
Ability to be forklift certified required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Facial Hair Policy
Employees working in this position will be required to follow Red Star Yeast’s facial hair policy. This is due to requirement of this position to wear respiratory protection